I led a team to help fix the problem of multiple Humane Society websites not updating their pet databases often enough. We created an app prototype that allows employees to add and remove animals from their databases easily and effectively.
We started with the user research phase where we interviewed both those who tried adopting pets and those who work in adoption shelters. We created personas from these users, and also developed scenarios that capture their user journeys. We also did a competitive analysis.
In the end, we designed an application that solved this database issue. I am currently re-designing some of the UI and UX, as I believe it can be improved on.
Tools & Skills
User Research, Personas, Sketch, InVision
Team of 4 Prospective Informatics Undergrads
Creation of personas, scenarios, basic app UI design, Sketch & Invision work
When brainstorming ideas for this project, a teammate of mine talked about how they volunteered at the Humane Society. They discussed that one of the biggest problems was that the databases were out of date and how there were no filters on the employee side to see characteristics for each animal. There are cases where a family ended up adopting pets that were not ‘child-friendly.' We decided to look more into this idea by interviewing both Humane Society volunteers as well as those who have adopted from there.
It was clear that there was a pain point in the updating of databases on both sides. Adopters wanted to adopt a pet, just to find that their dream pet was already adopted months ago. Employees struggled with keeping up on who's been adopted, and who hasn't. It was clear that we could develop a solution to this issue.